Online ticket: easy, fast and convenient
Almost every DB offering is available as an online ticket. Once you buy a ticket online, you can either download it to the DB Navigator app or print it out to present on a train.
Online ticket's benefits
- Can be booked shortly before travel
- Can be downloaded to the DB Navigator app, be printed out or sent by post
- Available for almost all DB offerings
DB Navigator app
Download the app for free.
How to book an online ticket
- Find the connection you want on bahn.com
- Go to "Ticket & reservation" and select the "Online ticket" option
- You can save your online ticket on your smartphone in the form of a mobile phone ticket. Simply log in to your My Bahn account via the DB Navigator app, go to "My tickets" and update the list by using the refresh gesture ("pull down" on the screen).
- You can add the ticket to the app even if you don't have a My Bahn account. Go to "Load ticket" and enter your name and order number.
- Alternatively, you can print the ticket out or have it sent to you by post.
FAQs about the online ticket
How will I receive my online ticket after booking it?
Our system normally displays the ticket on your screen immediately after you complete the booking process. Adobe Reader is the software your computer needs to show the ticket. Simply print the ticket out to present it during your journey.
You can also download the ticket to your computer: the download button is located on the booking confirmation page at the end of the booking process. If Adobe Reader is not installed on your computer, you can download it free of charge. Once it is installed, you can open the online ticket you have saved on your computer. You can print the ticket out if necessary.
Our online tickets feature visual security features that make it possible to check them without using a ticket scanner. We would therefore ask you to please ensure that visual elements (images) are not suppressed when you print your ticket out or display it on your computer screen. If you want to access your ticket again at a later date, click here or on My Bahn in the booking overview.
How do I download an online ticket to the DB Navigator app?
After booking an online ticket, most people want to use it on their smartphones. For this, you need to download DB's app called the DB Navigator.
Once the app is on your phone, there are two way of adding your ticket:
1) If you are logged in on your My Bahn customer account on the DB Navigator app, you can add your latest ticket by updating the overview of tickets.
2) If you are not logged in on DB Navigator, you can add your ticket by entering the order number ticket number.
What is necessary for booking mobile phone tickets?
To book a ticket, you need log-in details for www.bahn.com, and you have to have signed up to use the mobile phone ticket. If you don't have log-in details, you can create a profile here.
Tip: When creating your profile, tick the statement "Yes, I would like an additional unencrypted copy of the online ticket to be sent to the e-mail address provided along with the booking confirmation."
You will need the online ticket if you want to make a claim in line with your passenger rights.
Can I book an online ticket for someone else?
Yes. You need a My Bahn account to do this. In the "Ticket & reservation" section, you need to select the option "Online ticket - Digital ticket as a PDF file" to indicate that you are booking a ticket for someone other than yourself. Enter the details of the person that you are booking the ticket for. The system will use your payment details, so you do not need to change them.
Where is my reserved seat indicated on the online ticket?
If you have reserved a seat, the details of it location are in the central section of the online ticket describing your connection and reservation.
Where is the ticket's order number?
The order number is shown in the booking confirmation that you get every time you buy a ticket on www.bahn.com. It is also located underneath the QR code on an online ticket.
Registered customers can see all of their tickets by accessing the overview of bookings in My Bahn.
If you buy a ticket from a machine, a travel agent or by phone, the 9-digit order number is printed in the bottom left and marked with a different colour.
How can I change an online ticket?
You can change an online ticket on bahn.com. The details depend on the refund conditions associated with the ticket.
If you are a registered customer, you can use the booking overview in your My Bahn customer account. If you bought a ticket without logging in, use the Add ticket function. You need the order number of your ticket for this.
How are online and mobile phone tickets checked on trains?
When you are on your train, the train attendant scans the ticket's QR code and then checks the information on the scanner's screen against the name on the your form of identification.
- European government-issued ID card
- Child's passport
- BahnCard (in accordance with the Conditions of Carriage, a BahnCard is only valid in connection with a photo ID, which may have to be presented on occasion)
- Electronic residency permit
- Certificate for asylum applicants
Can I receive my online ticket by post?
Yes. Postage costs EUR 4.90, and a ticket normally needs 2-3 days to reach its destination.
Why are some journeys not available as online tickets?
On some cross-border routes, staff from our partner rail operators may not be able to scan an online ticket. You can get tickets for these routes from a DB Travel Centre or a DB agency.
It is not possible to book online tickets for transport associations' services or for routes that are not operated by DB.